Hey, that’s really nice of you to say; thanks for that.
Five favorite albums? No way. But, I can give you five albums that I enjoy? In no particular order, at all:
1. Townes Van Zandt’s Live At The Old Quarter is an album that I’ve played more times than I can count.
2. Explosions In The Sky’s The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, too. I think I’ve probably heard that album more than any other album I’ve ever listened to.
3. Jimmy Eat World has an album called Clarity, and I really do think it’s a masterpiece. I never really got into any of their music after that album; I think they kind of went a different direction on everything that followed it. Not that they suck or anything, after Clarity. Just, you know, a different sound. But, as far as pioneering emo music goes, this one belongs in the same company as bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, or Braid, etc. Don’t believe me? Give it a spin.
4. John Prine’s self-titled album is perfect.
5. All of the Lightnin’ Hopkins, Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf and Leadbelly that you can find, ever, always, ever.
As for the last book that I read, and would strongly recommend? Marilynne Robinson’s novel, Gilead, absolutely put me on the floor. I don’t think that I can recommend it highly enough. I actually wrote her, after I read it. I’ve never had the urge to write an author before, but that novel. Woof. It’s quite remarkable.